So now that you know which holiday monster you are, how do you STOP yourself from turning into a complete monster on your family holiday?! There are several, extremely scientific, steps to keeping your inner monster contained through all the ups and downs of a summer vacations. Luckily for you I’ve done all the research for you, so you’ll be completely prepared for your holiday. I’ve had melt downs in departures and bitten people’s heads off at luggage claim. I’ve suffered sunstroke in Spain and become a complete gremlin when my hair turned into a massive nest of knots after scuba diving. I’ve gone through all of this so that you don’t have to! So, I’ve teamed up with Sony Pictures to celebrate the release of Hotel Transylvania 3 – Summer Vacation and bring you all the tips you need to survive your next family trip.
How to Tame Your Inner Holiday Monster
- Hand held fans – If the heat gets you all hot and bothered, then you need to do everything you can to stay cool. Hand held fans are perfect to stop you from getting too irritated by the heat. They’re easy to carry around in your beach/day bag. Just make sure you don’t get your hair caught in the fan or you could trigger your inner monster to appear.
- Facial mist – Facial mist is a great tool for keeping you cool and keeping your face moisturised. I use it all the time to keep my feeling fresh in hot climates. You can get a small can/bottle to pop in your bag. A quick spritz really helps to cool you down and feel more under control if you’re feeling a bit frazzled. So if you’re a mummy or a werewolf this is an absolute essential for you!
- Hair care – If you’ve got a lot of hair you need to get creative with how to keep it off your neck and out of your face. And if a creative hairstyle can help stop it from becoming matted and knotty, then all the better! I highly recommend plaits. They keep your hair in the one place, prevent knots and help to keep you cool. Plus, when you take them out you’re left with lovely wavy beach hair. There’s nothing wrong with a classic ponytail but if you have thick long hair that’s going to weigh pretty heavy on your head and you’ll find it a bit sore after a while. If you do get knots make sure you have detangle spray to hand. I use the L’Oreal kids one and it’s great, especially post surf or dive. Hair management is key for werewolves to prevent irritation.
- Sun protection – Sun screen is KEY, especially for vampire types. Pale folk like myself need to be working with factor 50 all the time, especially on the face. There’s nothing like a bad case of sunburn to ruin your holiday! Make sure to reapply your sunscreen every few hours and especially if you’re been in the water. One place people forget to put sunscreen is on their scalp/hair parting. If you’re not wearing a hat make sure to spritz some sunscreen on your parting and hairline. You do not want a scalp burn, when it peels it looks like translucent spiders in your hair.
- Hydration – Staying hydrated is incredibly important. When we’re thirsty we’re miserable and not very nice to out fellow travel companions. Plus, suffering from dehydration is pretty serious. No one wants to be sick on holiday. Make sure you drink at least 3 litres of water a day! This will keep you happy, healthy and a delight to be around.
- Rest – Nothing gets me more irritated on holiday than trying to fit too much in and not getting enough rest. Make sure to allow time for rest and down time on your trip, otherwise you’ll feel like you need another holiday when you get back. Make sure to take advantage of the kids club if you’re travelling with children, that will give you time for a little R & R. If you’re well rested then you’re more likely to enjoy your trip and avoid any monstrous outbursts.
- Time alone – Travelling with family can drive us all a bit crazy. To avoid any arguments it’s healthy to make sure you set aside some time for yourself. Book yourself into the spa, go for a walk or anything that gives you a bit of personal space for an hour or two. It will help ease tensions and make sure you do enjoy your time with your family when you are together. For those of you who usually prefer to travel solo, like Frankenstein’s Monster, this is particularly important.
- Entertainment – Bringing your own entertainment will help to make any layovers of delays much easier to deal with, especially when travelling with children. For adults, make sure to have a book or two or download a couple of movies to your tablet/phone. With children you can do the same or make sure they have games/colouring books etc to keep them entertained. It stops anyone from getting bored or restless and will help prevent tantrums. Plus, sometimes you get unlucky and your in-flight entertainment won’t work, which is horrendous during a long haul flight. So having your own entertainment to hand just makes life easier.
- SNACKS – We all get hangry and it can cause us to turn into absolute demons. SO, to prevent this make sure you always have snacks handy in your bag. Granola bars, nuts and dried fruit are great. I cannot count the number of times I could hear my stomach growling while travelling on a night bus, plane or train because I forgot or ran out of snacks. Learn from my mistakes. You never know when you might be delayed and without food so it pays to keep a stash with you. This is ESSENTIAL travel knowledge for zombie types who are all about the food.
- Dress for the occasion – Comfort is incredibly important when it comes to travelling. You won’t sleep well on the plane if the waist band of your jeans is cutting into you. Wear soft, stretchy, comfortable clothes on the plane. Sweat pants/tracksuit bottoms and leggings are best. When you’ve arrived at your destination make sure you dress for the weather. Hot destinations require light, airy clothes that will keep you cool. Active trips including hikes etc will require wicking fabrics. If you’re feeling comfortable, your family summer vacation will be much more enjoyable.
Hotel Transylvania 3 – Summer Vacation
Well now you know which holiday monster you are and how to avoid turning into that monster on holiday! So, make sure you get yourself to the cinema to catch the latest installment of Sony Pictures’ Hotel Transylvania, Hotel Transylvania 3 – Summer Vacation. In the movie we join our favorite monster family as they embark on a vacation on a luxury monster cruise ship so Drac can take a summer vacation from providing everyone else’s vacation at the hotel. It’s smooth sailing for Drac’s Pack as the monsters indulge in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer, from monster volleyball to exotic excursions, and catching up on their moon tans. But the dream vacation turns into a nightmare when Mavis realizes Drac has fallen for the mysterious captain of the ship, Ericka, who hides a dangerous secret that could destroy all of monsterkind. If the last two Hotel Transylvania movies are anything to go by it’s going to be absolutely hilarious! If you haven’t seen any of the Hotel Transylvania movies I highly recommend watching the first too, they’re so much fun for adults and kids alike. The characters are voiced by some amazing people like Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Adam Sandler and FRAN DRESCHER!!
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation is in cinemas
across Ireland from July 27th.
[yikes-mailchimp form=”1″ submit=”Sign up for travel tips/stories/newsletters etc”]